Only Guests See This Ad!

Thread: WLS Buddies Thread

Diet
    Open RNY patient (10/27/10).
    Stats
    335|265|145

hi WLS Buddies Thread

Here is a thread for all of us who have had WLS Let's gather and support each other, offer advice and exchange ideas!

I had an open RNY by Dr Caruana at Synergy Bariatrics here in Buffalo, NY, on Oct 27 last year. I have so far lost 70 lbs and feel fantastic. Loving life, and loving myself more and more.

So let's have coffee/tea talk here and get to know each other!

Heather in Buffalo, NY

Diet
    Stats
    335|265|145
    I eat my meals at 8am, 10am, 12pm, 3pm, 5pm, and 8pm. (3 solid meals and 3 snacks.) I aim for 60-110 g of protein and 1000-1200 cals a day. But focus mostly on getting protein in.

I exercise with my Wii... with wii sports and sports resort, just dance 2, and wii fit plus!
    Heather in Buffalo, NY

Diet
    Stats
    335|265|145
    *bumping thread*
    Heather in Buffalo, NY

Diet
    LGS Surgery w/ Wight Wise
    Stats
    349|272|149
    Hi Heather!

I had a VSG in jan of this year. So far I am 60 pounds down from my heaviest weight.

Great job on your success so far!
    I'd rather be the last one to FINISH then the first one to QUIT!

Diet
    Eat like a human. Portion control.
    Stats
    329|280|225
    Way to go, ladies. My wife is creeping up on about 100lbs lost in 7 months - best decision she ever made. We all loved her no matter what size she was... but she is losing so much, and we are "gaining" so much of her personality that was hidden from us, it was well worth it for EVERYONE. Friends, family, everyone now sees Kendra differently.

..I caught Kendra swayin, and singin the other day in the livingroom, something she would not had done at 350+. She was so cute, I didnt say a word, as I didnt want to snap her out of what ever mood she was in, to be able to do that in front of me. Almost made me cry.... I missed my wife, even when she was huge and right in front of me - the weight was hiding her joy.

<3 u Kendra. =)

-M

Diet
    RNY Nov 14, 2011
    Stats
    267|183|175
    Due to stress in my life, until recently I have completely neglected my health and it shows. I have decided to have a gastric bypass. I have started the process and expect to have a date for around the New Year. It was a very hard decision and has more to do with my health than vanity. I can expect to be off my diabetes and blood pressure meds when I leave the hospital. I may even be free of sleep apnea at some point.

To be honest going through this process has been a real wake up call. I was not even sure I would qualify for the procedure. But I did. WLS is not an easy fix. It is simply a tool. The fact is you can find as many people who have failed after WLS as who have succeeded.

I have decided to do whatever I have to do to increase my chances of success.

So this is the plan so far...

1) Track everything I eat
    2) Drink 8+ H20 daily
    3) Give up Diet soda/soda
    4) Consistently JOURNAL/post(the hardest for me)
    If you fail to plan, you plan to fail ~ Bill Phillips

Diet
    WLS (roux-en-y) NOV 10 2008
    Stats
    333|172.5|160
    Hello everyone.
    I had an RNY Nov. 10th 2008. I started out at 333lbs and got down to 172. I keep bouncing around 20 lbs and honestly I'm sick of it. I'm proud of the work I've done so far, but I have yet to reach my goal of 160ish.
    My life has changed so much since my surgery. I am free from the prison of fat I wore. I live every minute to the fullest. I have ridden a horse, para sailed, zip lined, went on roller coasters, went for a ride on the back of a dolphin, all because I'm no longer confined by my fat. I've done other things too, that are not so grandiose, but they are things I would never have had the courage to do before. I have more confidence and self esteem but yet I'm still me.
    Having surgery was the best thing I ever did for myself.
    My mother also had it done. She was a year post opp in March. She has lost all her weight and then some. She looks amazing at 60. The difference between her and I is I'm proud of the fact I had surgery. Where she's embarrassed and sees it as a failure, I see it as hope. She has decided not to tell anyone she had surgery. She prefers to let people think she did it on her own. To each their own. I'm proud of the fact that since I've had my surgery, I've helped 4 people go through the same process by educating them about the pros and cons. They see me and the success I've had and they ask me questions. I tell them about my experience and direct them to a very good web site for further info. I believe everyone must make their own decision. Surgery isn't for everyone, nor is the type right for everyone.
    Well, that's pretty much how I feel about having had WLS.
    Hugs
    GOODBYE FAT LADYmy blog

WEIGHT LOST SINCE GASTRIC BY-PASS SURGERY
    NOVEMBER 10 2008

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Journal
    2.5LBS TO GOAL

Diet
    RNY Nov 14, 2011
    Stats
    267|183|175

help I would like to benefit from YOUR experience!

Here is my question to any and all who have had WLS....

IF you could.....What would you do then if you knew what to know now?
    What worked, what didn't?
    What could you have done before the WLS to build good habits and prepare for life after WLS?

Diet
    LGS Surgery w/ Wight Wise
    Stats
    349|272|149
    Been ages since I posted in here.... how is everyone doing?

Also.. what a sweet, sweet post by my hubby =)

Beau.. my surgery isnt the same as these other ladies, so I can't give adivce about surgery. But I would say before deicding on a full gastric bypass, ask about a gastric sleeve. It's what I have and I love it!! It basically makes your tummy smaller rather then bypassing it alltogether. Talk with your surgeon about it.
    I'd rather be the last one to FINISH then the first one to QUIT!

Diet
    RNY Nov 14, 2011
    Stats
    267|183|175
    Hi Kendra,

You do have a sweet hubby, a real keeper.

Thanks for posting. I did look into the sleeve. When I saw the bariatric team they told me they still consider the full bypass the gold medal standard and is what they recommend. There is not enough long term information known about the sleeve simply because because it is so new. Leaks are also a greater risk due to the length of the incision with the sleeve as it is so much longer than the bypass. So I decided on the gastric bypass.

Diet
    Counting calories
    Stats
    275|160|140
    Hi- is this forum still going? I see there are no posts since August 2011. I had RNY gastric bypass surgery Dec.1, 2009.
    I did really well losing a total of 140 lbs.I don't do well in crisis periods and many came my way in 2011. I have regained
    20 lbs. Is anyone intrested in being a friend - buddy? I'd love to see this forum up and running. I'd love to take part.
    Billie Leigh

Diet
    RNY Nov 14, 2011
    Stats
    267|183|175
    Hi BillieLeigh!

I am still here! I am 8 weeks out now and down just over 50 lbs.

My Dr told me that after a year a 20 - 30 lb regain is "typical".

Diet
    Counting calories
    Stats
    275|160|140

Hi Beau congrats on your weight loss. Thank you for your words of encouragement. I was glad to hear what your Dr told you.
    My doctor really discouraged me at my 1 yr. check up. I am 5 ft 5 and weighed 135 lbs at that check up.
    He told me that I needed to lose to 125, another 10 lbs. That upset me because I felt to thin at 135. I have a small frame
    and was a wearing a size 6-8. He even commented that my stomach was really flat for all the wt. loss I had and my hip
    bones even stuck out! I wanted to say so why do I need to lose more but I didn't.
    My face shows my weight loss the worst. I have the haggard sunken in cheek bones that Abe Lincoln had.
    My shoulder blades and hip bones show through through my clothes at 155. I feel comfortable at this wt.
    I wear size 12.
    I had to miss my 2 yr. ( Dec. 2011) checkup because my husband became ill & had to retire & we lost our insurance.
    I wanted to go but in a way I felt relief because he (my Dr) would have read me the riot act because I would have
    been up 20 lbs. instead of down 10 lbs.
    I am working at losing my 20 lb. regain. But I have decided that 125 is to low for me. My husband agrees.
    He thinks I am a bag of bones at 155. He is my greatest supporter. In Feb. we will be married 44 yrs.
    I have never regretted my surgery. I wish I had done it years ago. I had it done at age 59.
    My blood works is always good. I would suggest eating a lot of fiber. I get slack on that sometimes and
    constipation is NO fun. That is the only problem I have ever had.
    Again thank you for replying. Best wishes on your WLS journey. You are doing wonderful!
    Billie Leigh

Diet
    RNY Nov 14, 2011
    Stats
    267|183|175
    Billie Leigh,

No offence....your Dr sounds like a arse. Like I said my Dr/surgeon told me 6 months before my surgery at a info session that post one year your body levels out and that regain in totally normal.

Your hubbie is a keeper.

Thanks for posting, keep in touch.