There are some conditions of the body that are not well understood by general practitioners of medicine. One of these is thyroid issues and how it causes weight gain and loss of energy. In this article we will look at these issues and how to improve your thyroid and teach you the proper diet for hypothyroidism.
Many knowledgeable doctors and health care providers agree that hyperthyroidism is an increasing problem that is near epidemic proportions. A person can go years suffering the consequences of this illness and not know what it is or how to treat it.
One of the reasons that it goes unchecked even when the person is going to the doctor regularly, is that it is believed to be a problem that is only indirectly related to the thyroid organ itself. Many have concluded that this problem is actually caused by the immune system mistakenly attacking the thyroid causing it to malfunction.
It has been found that medicine that is designed to suppress or hide the conditions will at best only prolong the problem, and at worst, may exacerbate the problem. For this reason, going this route is not considered the best choice.
A person needs to start where the problem begins. This means we need to look at our daily eating habits and change them to something more suitable to our situation. This is not something we should put off doing as this condition can cause extreme fatigue and loss of energy, along with increasing weight gain among other problems.
1. Protein is where you should begin. While many are promoting the health benefits of an all plant based diet, for those that suffer from hypothyroidism , find that including at least some protein with every meal can have some pretty immediate benefits.
Protein is used by the body, in part, to carry the hormone the thyroid provides, to the entire body’s tissues that use this hormone. Including high quality forms of protein can quickly bring the function of the thyroid to a normal rate.
Some good choices for protein include grass only fed farm animals, organically raised chicken eggs and fish. It also includes nuts and beans along with dairy.
2. We have repeatedly been told over the years that fat in our foods is the enemy. For this reason many in the U.S. and elsewhere eat less fat than ever before, and yet they are overweight and suffer with hyperthyroidism. The right fats and even cholesterol is very important to promote a well-functioning thyroid. Consuming healthy fats such as avocados, cold salt water fish, organically raised animal dairy and olive oil are some examples.
3. It is highly contested as to whether or not iodine is something that helps or hurts hypothyroidism. For those who think this condition is related to an immune deficiency, they believe that taking iodine supplements will do more harm than good. But those who believe that this condition is in part due to a deficiency in iodine, say it is necessary. Iodine together with a certain amino acid produces the thyroid hormone.
The best thing would be to get iodine from natural sources. The best sources for this are sea food and sea vegetation. Consider starting to include these foods more in your diet and you will likely see improvement.
4. While plant vegetation is generally considered what you should eat a lot of, it may surprise you to know that some foods that are otherwise healthy can be a hindrance with this condition. Foods such as turnips, strawberries, radishes and rutabaga are among the foods to reduce or eliminate while getting your thyroid back into good working condition.
5. Some foods contain one kind of antioxidant known as glutathione that helps restore the immune system to its normal state. For those who believe that this is caused in-part to an immune system gone wild, say that eating foods with this amino acid will not only improve your immune system, but also your thyroid function.
Foods like garlic, raw eggs and avocado are all good examples of food with this amino acid. Learning to include these more often in your meals can have a very good effect on improving your immune system and thyroid function.
6. To get your body working well again, may mean restoring some lost bacteria that is used in your digestive process. In the beginning most of us have more than enough healthy bacteria in our intestinal tract. But over time, due to several factors, many of us lose a lot of this.
This bacteria helps break down the foods so that we can actually receive the nutritional benefits of the foods that we eat. But many of us no longer have enough of this healthy bacteria. As a consequence we do not get the nutrition we need and the food is more likely to be stored as body fat rather than converted to energy which would help with all matters. So it is recommended that we take probiotics to help reintroduce healthy bacteria into our intestinal track.
7. Consider taking a high quality nutritional supplement that helps you meet your daily requirements for all vitamins and minerals. It is a simple fact of life that in today’s hustle and bustle, we often do not eat like we should. But if we are to have a chance at resetting our thyroid and having it return to a healthy level of functionality, then we need to get the necessary nutrition.
In conclusion, you can see that the most important thing you can do to treat your hyperthyroidism is to change eating habits to something that is healthier for you and your thyroid.
We really hope that these tips will help you to improve your diet for hypothyroidism and we wish you the best!